Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-14 20:58:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce,

> o WYSIWYG - this seems unattainable because such editors are
> going to modify the surrounding XML, which will affect
> hand-edited changes

It would be more accurate to say that we have not identified a WYSWYG tool
which does not mess up the source. There may be one, it would just take a
fair amount of testing to find it.

> o tag assistance - this seems possible, e.g. tag completion,
> drop down list of tags available for this section

Yes, and graphically-enhanced tag support using XML IDEs. Command-line tag
completion is available via Emacs-SGML, but there are a lot more tools
which do it for XML (including Emacs).

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus