Re: help understanding analyze

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help understanding analyze
Date: 2006-12-10 20:12:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday 09 December 2006 11:46 Martijn van Oosterhout's cat, walking on
the keyboard, wrote:
> If it doesn't say "Index Scan" it's not using the index.
>
> At a guess your table is not big enough to make an index worthwhile. If
> your table is only a few pages long, it's just not efficient to lookup
> an index first.

Dear Martijn,
thanks for your explainations! I have checked the siz eof my table and,
despite the number of rows, it has less pages then the index, thus the seq.
scan is of course the faster one!
Now I begin to understand a little better how the optimizer works.

Thanks everyone,
Luca