Re: Switching to XML

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-10 09:08:09
Lists: pgsql-docs
David Fetter wrote:
> Peter, if you have a working example of a GUI tool that can be used
> with the SGML source in its current form, the burden of proof is on
> you to demonstrate it.  Another flat assertion from you of some kind
> of mathematical equivalence between SGML and XML will *not* do the
> trick.

Well, most of you are obviously led into twisting every single thread on
this mailing list related to some sort of tool trouble into a thread
that SGML is completely unusable for unrelated reasons such as that
there are no editing tools or that it takes too long to build.  I have
no interest in these sorts of uninformed discussions.

The question here was by David Blewett about creating multiple indexes.
Has anyone bothered to look into that?  My experimentation, by the way,
shows that it works exactly as described in the cited document.

> It'll be nice to have the document building cycle shorter, but the
> point here is that we need to enter the 21st century.  That Tom found
> a need to fork a document tool, i.e. take ownership of a whole large
> piece of software, that being what forking means, is a neon sign that
> means, "we're stuck with broken tools."

And which nonbroken tools for creating print output do you have up your
sleeve in the new XML world?  And what is so wonderous about these
tools that we can't use them today?

--
Peter Eisentraut