Re: psql man page error?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql man page error?
Date: 2006-12-06 14:14:01
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Well, it is even worse because some versions of echo automatically
> > interpret backslashes, so it would have to be \\x.  I am thinking we
> > should just leave it as I have it now, unless we want to use 'awk' or
> > 'perl' where we know the backslash behavior.
>
> The example as you have it now is directly contradictory to the
> published spec.
>
> I agree with Simon's suggestion to remove "-e" from the example
> (thereby making it spec-compliant) and add a parenthetical remark
> suggesting that standards-challenged versions of echo might need "-e".

Well, I just tried Linux and FreeBSD bash (the default shell?) and they
both need '-e' to render '\n' as a newline, so I think we should just
leave it with '-e'.  Following the spec doesn't help if our two major
operating systems don't follow the spec, plus the example doesn't work
on Win32 at all.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us