Count field in query

From: lucas(at)presserv(dot)org
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Count field in query
Date: 2006-12-06 12:32:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all.
Is there any way to build a query with a field that has the IndexCount
of the query.
It's something like the number of the row returned (starting with 1).
Something like:

select * from mytable order by name;
id | name | CountField
7 | KK | 1
98 | LL | 2
5 | ZZ | 3

select * from mytable order by id;
id | name | CountField
5 | ZZ | 1
7 | KK | 2
98 | LL | 3

I was thinking to create a sequence:
create temporary sequence MYSEQUENCE increment 1 MINVALUE 1;
And put this sequence as field "nextval('mysequence')":
select *,nextval('mysequence') from mytable;
But I think its not the best way to do this! Couse I need to set
sequence value to 1 everytime.

Can Someone help me?
Thanks
Lucas Vendramin (Brazil)