Re: partial PGresult in pgsql v8.2rc1

From: Igor Shevchenko <igor(at)carcass(dot)ath(dot)cx>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: partial PGresult in pgsql v8.2rc1
Date: 2006-12-04 09:07:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Friday 01 December 2006 19:52, you wrote:
> Igor Shevchenko <igor(at)carcass(dot)ath(dot)cx> writes:
> > I've been using partial PGresult-s since pgsql v7.4, and one of "signs"
> > that it's there (after a "read" event on a non-blocking tcp connection to
> > pgsql + a call to PQconsumeInput) is a check: "pgconn->result != NULL",
> > where pgconn is a pointer to a PGconn object.
>
> PGconn is not an exported struct, and so what you are doing is unsupported,
> but I'll bet your app was compiled against the wrong version of
> libpq-int.h.

Thanks Tom, that was it. An old libpq-int.h was compiled into a precompiled
header.

The reason I'm using libpq-int.h is that I can use SELECT-ed data from
not-yet-complete queries, and this is very useful for long searches which
yeld data from time to time. The only other approach I can think of, cursor
open / fetch, causes bidirectional network traffic and it's not very
efficient when there are many immediate results. OFC I understand that using
internal libpq stuff means I'm on my own, so I was thinking will you accept a
patch which would allow libpq provide data from incomplete queries ? I've
asked about this before, your statement was that this breaks the consistency,
but sometimes it doesn't really matter, e.g. with searches.

--
Best Regards,
Igor Shevchenko