Re: Authentication trick

From: "antongiulio05(at)gmail(dot)com" <antongiulio05(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authentication trick
Date: 2006-12-01 10:57:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> > some commercial softwares use a trick to avoid copy of a db, license-crack, etc. They use generate a key -> "ID of db-instance". For example, if you dump a db on other machine with postgres installed, this key will be different and so application will not start.
>
> PostgreSQL is not commercial, so there's no need for such artificial
> restrictions.

My application is commercial. It uses postgresql. I want include in my-app a "protection-trick" retrieving a some kind of "unique system_identifier". Your pg_control file could be good, but it's a "data-file". How can I extract infos from it?

Around same dir I have found these infos:

"myappdb" 20496 1663 3221455155 229682

Maybe are these the keys?

Thanks,
Giulio

P.S.: sorry, now post became OT for "jdbc".