Re: Notify enhancement

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notify enhancement
Date: 2006-11-30 23:19:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Josh Berkus asked me recently what cool things I would be working on
> now. I have just received the go ahead to work on this TODO item for the
> next release:
>
> Add optional textual message to NOTIFY
>
> This would allow an informational message to be added to the notify
> message, perhaps indicating the row modified or other custom information.

Great!

Are you also planning to do the removal of the pg_listener catalog?
There were some ideas on how to do this, but nothing thoroughly
designed.

Neil Conway talked about using SLRU as a mechanism for storing listeners
and messages. Maybe you can find that discussion in the archives. Part
of it was via IRC though, and I don't remember how much of it was. So
details on the archives may be thin.