Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-11-30 22:37:43
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:24:57PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > The rationale is that there is a lot of good articles posted
> > > there that would get promoted to the frontpage. Such as the PWN,
> >
> > I already post the PostgreSQL Weekly News to www.postgresql.org as
> > I'm publishing it. I'd be delighted to have it get a more
> > prominent place than 3 clicks down. Right now, you can see it by
> > the blindingly obvious ;) method of clicking on Community, then
> > finding the link marked PostgreSQL Weekly News in the text, and
> > then choosing the top link.
>
> It wasn't my idea to put blogs on the home page, note, but I think
> its a great idea and I wish I'd thought of it. Look at the top blog:
> a great article by Josh about PostgreSQL performance. What could be
> more useful? More importantly, will make people come back to the
> site once they see the whole community in action.
>
> PWN has long been a favourite of mine, Treat or Fetter versions :-)
> It deserves its place on the front-page.

Thanks :)

> > > While it's certainly not "random individuals", you definitly
> > > have a point in that it's unchecked.
> >
> > True. We could have certain "categories" get on the page, and
> > others not. For example, I have a category called PWN. I'm not
> > sure how portable that is, though.
>
> The fact that some people want to blog about their lives is nice,
> but reasonably this can be done on other sites... we've always
> managed to maintain a pleasant but impersonal atmosphere on
> PostgreSQL project. I don't see the need to have my or anybody
> else's lives recorded anywhere that has the PostgreSQL name but
> that's probably just me being a stuffy Brit.

Sorry I wasn't clearer on this. I put PostgreSQL Weekly News in the
PWN category, so it's easy to distinguish as something that can and
should be syndicated as PostgreSQL content.

If I happen to blog about underwater basket-weaving, Guinness Stout
fermentation dregs, uranium mill tailings, muffler cores, monosodium
glutamate, nitrates, nitrites, nitrotes, nitrutes, or how certain
politicians should get an all-expense-paid trip to the War Crimes
Tribunal at the Hague, I can put them in a different category so they
don't show up on the www.postgresql.org home page.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter