Re: Benchmarking PostgreSQL against others on Windows?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: bo(dot)berglund(at)telia(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmarking PostgreSQL against others on Windows?
Date: 2006-11-29 01:03:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: bo(dot)berglund(at)telia(dot)com; pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 5:12:27 PM

On Nov 26, 2006, at 9:35 PM, <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
<operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> the only downside that i've had working with
> postgresql is that most tutorials are geared towards
> mysql so i have to translate some tutorials and books
> into pgsql.

Have you considered publishing any of what you've translated? Yes,
PostgreSQL could use more training material...
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net

JIm, I have published my PHP5, Apache 2 and PostgresSQL Windows installation notes (by they way - much of what I learned came from the kind folks here and on other mailing lists and forums). They can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

and I think they are 98% good since nobody I've referred has come back complaining. ;-)

I translated a PHP user authentication system (sha1 , or some such, with a splash of salt) I found on Sitepoint and I'm using it in an app. I never gave much thought to publishing it, but I will add that to my "to do" list, which includes cleaning up the code a bit first. ;-)

If there is any interest, I'll post the gory details as they now stand (the code isn't too bad, but I'm sure the code organization can be improved).

My current project is to create Agile Web Development with Rails PostgreSQL specific notes and cheat sheet references and post them if it is OK with the original authors.

I agree that documentation should be improved. I would've saved 30 days installing PGSQL about 2 years ago if the standard PGSQL install tutorial went the next step and showed how to connect v8.0 via PGAdmin3. It didn't, so I spent 30 days installing it via Cygwin because tutorials existed to do that (albeit, not all the information was in a single place that I could find, hence, the 30 day struggle).