Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Date: 2006-11-26 23:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Just so you all know: I gave a green flag for two magazines (one in
> Middle East, one in Dutch) to carry articles about 8.2 for their
> January issues, which will come out in December. So there's a
> distinct possibility that those magazines will come out and 8.2 still
> won't be available. I hadn't anticipated us slipping the schedule by
> more than a month. Not that this should be our deciding criteria,
> but just so people know that I'm not just pushing the date for no
> reason.

We have this issue every year and it's never ended up being a problem.
It's the author's or publisher's fault if they can't write their
articles ambiguous enough.

> Also note that if we release between December 18th and January 3rd,
> we can pretty much expect no coverage from the press.

We also have this issue every year and I still don't believe it.
Curiously, there is always excellent press coverage of everything else
between December 18th and January 3rd.

> Overall, I submit that our release process is broken, and that we're
> having trouble getting this release out because nobody is paying
> attention to it (of which I too have been guilty off-and-on). I
> suggest that we need something different for 8.3, or we can forget
> about even trying to do a short release schedule.

We also have this issue every year, but the time from beta to release
has always been about three months. With the buildfarm helping out,
we're a couple of weeks early this time. Rejoice.

--
Peter Eisentraut