Re: "Clustering"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Clustering"
Date: 2006-11-22 04:04:48
Lists: pgsql-docs
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote:
> > That reminds me of the requirement of having Multi Master Replication in
> > place to do Parallel Query Execution. Sync Multi Master Replication
> > being better, while Async Multi Master Replication obviously leads to
> > inconsistent responses, when queried in parallel. That may be acceptable
> > in certain situations.
>
> Oops, during rereading "Clustering For Parallel Query Execution", I've
> noticed that you mention Data Partitioning as one possible way to do
> Parallel Query Execution. Thus Multi Master Replication obviously is not
> a requirement, but just another way to allow for Parallel Query
> Execution. Mentioning that as well would probably be good.

Uh, multi-master replication allows for load balancing, but it doesn't
help a single query to run any faster.  Think of having only one query
running on the cluster.  Parallel execution allows a single query to use
more than one computer, right?

> IMHO, the advice to use multiple, independent databases to do parallel
> query execution sounds a little meager. Of course it's also parallel
> query execution, but it's not what most people suspect to find under
> that section, I would guess.

Uh, this confuses me.  What is missing?  You split tables across
multiple servers.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us