Re: "Clustering"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Clustering"
Date: 2006-11-22 04:00:06
Lists: pgsql-docs
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> The heading "Multi-Master Replication Using Clustering" doesn't make
> >> sense to me.  Clustering is bunching more than host together to achieve
> >> a common goal.  Thus multimaster replication may be a way to achieve
> >> clustering, but clustering is not a way to achieve multimaster
> >> replication.  I don't actually see clustering defined in the
> >> documentation.  Can someone explain the categorization?
>
> AFAICS, clustering seems to have no clear definition within database
> replication.

OK, new title is "Synchonous Multi-Master Replication", and the next
heading is "Asynchronous Multi-Master Replication".

> > I used the term clustering to mean that the servers work closely
> > together.  This is not as true with the other items on the page that are
> > not clustering.
>
> Why not simply call in "Multi Master Replication"? That implies
> clustering, doesn't it?

Well, not really because of the async multi-master that is the next
item.

> Perhaps you meant a Shared Nothing Cluster by referring to clustering?
> Such a definition would make more sense.
>
> BTW, I'm slowly beginning to accept that you don't want to mix
> "Statement-Based Replication Middleware" with "Multi Master
> Replication". ;-)

OK, are they mixed now?

> >> (FWIW, I think "Clustering For Parallel Query Execution" later in the
> >> list is an appropriate use of the term.)
>
> That reminds me of the requirement of having Multi Master Replication in
> place to do Parallel Query Execution. Sync Multi Master Replication
> being better, while Async Multi Master Replication obviously leads to
> inconsistent responses, when queried in parallel. That may be acceptable
> in certain situations.

OK, I think we have that covered now.

> Again, IMHO, "Parallel Query Execution" says everything. The word
> 'Clustering' does not help, because it's not defined nor commonly used
> in any helpful way (probably besides marketing).

OK, new title is Multi-Server Parallel Query Execution.  If I have just
"Parallel Query Execution", it could be multi-process parallel
query execution.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us