Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-20 19:43:29
Lists: pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Huh??  If gmx.net had an SPF record that stated that only gmx.net and
> its MXs were authoritative sources of mail for their domain, and I
> send something through hub.org as peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, the receiving
> server, if it checks/honors SPF, would end up rejecting it as spam

What does that have to do with anything?  If _you_ send email as
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net through any host, you are impersonanting.  If I am
sending any @gmx.net mail through any host other than the one
designated by gmx.net I am running afoul of SPF, but I am not
impersonating.  Those are two completely different things.

This is basically the difference between what return address you write
on a letter and what postal service you use.  You are presumably a user
of a Canadian return address (your "domain").  If the "domain owner"
(the government?) published an "SPF" record declaring that all Canada
mail must be routed through some carrier or post office, then those
implementing "SPF" on the other end might be inclined to reject all
Canada mail coming through another carrier or post office.  But you
might ask yourself what business the "domain owner" has to say which
way you send your mail, and note that you can still randomly forge your
return address.

--
Peter Eisentraut