Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-20 15:07:10
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Jim,

> > > I think the general term is "statement-based replication", not "broadcasting".
> >
> > Well, the problem is that you can use a statement-based method to
> > replication from a master to a slave. I think MySQL used to use this
> > method, or still does, so I don't think the term "statement-based" is
> > clear enough, though I am open to other terms than "broadcast".
>
> Oops, I see Markus Schiltknech likes the term "statement-based
> replication" better too. Certainly master-slave communication using
> "statement-based replication" has the same drawbacks as the broadcast
> method, but I wanted to highlight that the broadcast was happening
> outside the server. Do we need a master/slave "statement-based
> replication" item and a middleware broadcast item?

OK, new text:

<varlistentry>
<term>Statement-Based Replication</term>
<listitem>

<para>
In statement-based replication, a program intercepts every SQL
query and sends it to all servers. Each server operates
independently. Read-only queries can be sent to a single server
because there is no need for all servers to process it.
</para>

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us