Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-20 15:05:09
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > > That's true of simple query broadcasting (ie: pgpool), but not true ?
> > > of Continuent/Sequoia. Continuent's software adds a lot of additional ?
> > > features on top of simple query broadcasting, making it far more ?
> > > robust than simply spewing queries out to every node in the cluster. ?
> > > You still have to be very careful with how you use it, but not nearly ?
> > > as much as with simpler solutions.
> >
> > I think the general term is "statement-based replication", not "broadcasting".
>
> Well, the problem is that you can use a statement-based method to
> replication from a master to a slave.  I think MySQL used to use this
> method, or still does, so I don't think the term "statement-based" is
> clear enough, though I am open to other terms than "broadcast".

Oops, I see Markus Schiltknech likes the term "statement-based
replication" better too.  Certainly master-slave communication using
"statement-based replication" has the same drawbacks as the broadcast
method, but I wanted to highlight that the broadcast was happening
outside the server.  Do we need a master/slave "statement-based
replication" item and a middleware broadcast item?

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us