Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-20 15:01:45
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Basically, when you are broadcasting outside the server, you are
> > broadcasting SQL queries, and those queries do not have information
> > about non-deterministic functions and have issues with universal
> > commits
> > on all node.
>
> That's true of simple query broadcasting (ie: pgpool), but not true
> of Continuent/Sequoia. Continuent's software adds a lot of additional
> features on top of simple query broadcasting, making it far more
> robust than simply spewing queries out to every node in the cluster.
> You still have to be very careful with how you use it, but not nearly
> as much as with simpler solutions.

Yes, I have heard that Continuent/Sequoia has a process running on each
server that deals with many of the problems with broadcasting.  Not sure
how I should work that into the documentation.  In fact, based on our
description, the improvements Continuent/Sequoia made are probably
clearer.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us