Re: SPF Record ...

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-17 14:40:29
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> strict and used -all ... as long as we used ?all, you wouldn't be affected at
> all, since we'd be acknowledging that other hosts could send, but that we know
> that *our* registered IPs (a / mx) *do* send ...

IMO, that's the worst of all worlds. Effectively, since mail can
(according to what you register) legitmately come from elsewhere,
then there's no benefit to other users, because they have to accept
non-SPF mail anyway. All it tells people is that mail that came from
you, well, came from you. But if what you are trying to defend
against is someone hijacking your IP, then you need something other
than SPF. DNSSEC comes to mind.

I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to. That actually seems sort of quaint now.
--J.D. Baldwin