Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-15 00:11:39
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Jeff Frost wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> My thinking on the definition of clustering was that there is some smarts for
> >> graceful failover and automated or semi-automated ways of bringing failed DB
> >> servers back up to date and online with the rest of the servers in the
> >> cluster.  All servers need to be able to accept writes, but do we
> >
> > No, even replication servers can have that.
> >
> >> differentiate on where the writes originated (i.e. middleware or another
> >> postgresql server) or on functionality?
> >
> > Fundamentally, broadcast means the queries are being propogated outside
> > the server, with the benefits and limitations inherent in that.
>
> I'd definitely have to agree with you on that.  I guess I'm trying to decide
> what differentiates clustering for load balancing from query broadcast based
> on your text.  Maybe just don't use the word broadcast here:
>
> "In clustering, each server can accept write requests, and these write
> requests are broadcast from the original server to all other servers before
> each transaction commits."
>
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to come up with anything more clever.

Basically, when you are broadcasting outside the server, you are
broadcasting SQL queries, and those queries do not have information
about non-deterministic functions and have issues with universal commits
on all node.

I think I now see your point about using the word "broadcast" for both
clustering and middle-ware broadcast.  Let me find some new wording and
repost.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us