Re: authentication question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Craig White <craigwhite(at)azapple(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: authentication question
Date: 2006-11-09 19:34:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite(at)azapple(dot)com> writes:
> > I haven't had to fool too much with pam for authenticating other
> > services so I'm a little bit out of my knowledge base but I know that it
> > was simple to add netatalk into the pam authentication and expected that
> > postgresql would be similar.
>
> FWIW, we ship this PAM config file in the Red Hat PG RPMs:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth include system-auth
> account include system-auth
>
> which AFAIR looks about the same as the corresponding files for other
> services. It's installed as /etc/pam.d/postgresql.

For this to work you need a system-auth file in /etc/pam.d, which would
have lines for auth/account/required etc, and not just "includes".

PAM seems to be another area on which Linux distributors have been
diverging wildly for a long time; for example here on Debian the include
lines look like

auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so
@include common-auth
@include common-account
session required pam_limits.so

so I doubt one distro's config files are applicable to any other.