Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-11-09 08:40:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 06:22:36PM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >Has anyone ever considered that the only reason we are even compared to
> >MySQL is that MySQL and PostgreSQL are the only FOSS databases with
> >traction and market recognition?
> >
> >Every show I go to, when people ask how we compare to MySQL my response
> >is; we don't, we compare to Oracle and DB2.
>
> Yes, the important point here is that Oracle and DB2 are run by DBA's,
> which are the prime audience for PostgreSQL.

And it wasn't too long ago that Linux was just an oddity that wasn't run
by IT professionals.

The reality is that users who cut their teeth today on MySQL are likely
to carry it into their future jobs, even if PostgreSQL is a much better
choice. EnterpriseDB has many customers that have MySQL running around.
Right now, they're coming to us because they recognize that MySQL just
isn't enterprise-ready, but that won't be the case forever. It wasn't
long ago that we could easily dismiss MySQL because it didn't even
support sub-selects. And they're gunning to be an enterprise database.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net