Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-11-01 15:06:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:18:22PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:

> ISTM expanding the user base is one of the best things we can do for our
> existing users.

First, I'm not sure I buy that argument at all. I _used_ to be
worried about our user base, but it now seems to me to be growing in
a healthy way, attracting exactly the sort of users I want to see:
people who are used to serious data systems, working in industry and
telcos and the like, who want a system that is comparable to the
expensive systems they can buy, except without the big license
agreements and with the advantages of code they can see and, if need
be, fix.

But in any case, how does funding participation in data standards
groups, by which participation PostgreSQL can become a better system,
not expand the user base? If we seriously believe that an advantage
of free software is that it can be better than the alternatives, then
presumably avenues to better software ought to be the highest
priority.

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland