Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, beau hargis <beauh(at)bluefrogmobile(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Date: 2006-10-31 18:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:55:46PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> To this you propose, as I understand it, to have a fourth possibility
> which would be spec compliant for comparison purposes but would label
> result set columns with the case preserved name originally used (or
> would you use the casing used in the query?).

The big issue I see with this is that it would break PQfname on the
client end, since that's case sensetive too. Most client languages are,
so you really are between a rock and a hard place.

Making PQfname case-insensetive also screws up in Tom's example.

One way to appraoch this is to consider this a setting of the collation
of the name datatype. If a case-insensetive collation is selected at
initdb time, then Tom's example would indeed fail, but that's a choice
someone made. Problem being, you'd have to export that choice to
clients to make PQfname work, and that's going to messy.

Have a nice day,