Re: BUG #2724: Could not check connection status with "ssl=on"

From: Алексей Заяц <alexey(dot)zayats(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2724: Could not check connection status with "ssl=on"
Date: 2006-10-30 09:43:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi.

> I would argue that this is an OpenSSL bug: it should not be trying to
> write on a connection that it knows perfectly well is already dead.
> (It should know that, anyway, because the only way that pqReadData would
> be trying to close the connection is that it got an error indication
> from OpenSSL.)
May be, may be...

> Possibly we could work around the problem by disabling SIGPIPE during
> connection close, but I don't really see why we should have to do that.
While take a look at source of libpq, i have discover following:
while reading from pipe, you are getting
case SSL_ERROR_ZERO_RETURN:
SOCK_ERRNO_SET(ECONNRESET);
but why you'r do not check
SOCK_ERRNO != ECONNRESET
while closing ssl connection ?

i was trying this and all is work fine.

In function close_SSL you are call SSL_shutdown to shutdown ssl pipe.
But if you are already get ECONNRESET (by pear?), why you call whi funtcion?

From openssl docs.
SSL_shutdown - shuts down an active TLS/SSL connection. It sends the ``close
notify'' shutdown alert to the peer.

That's why i've got SIGPIPE.

> That's pretty much a waste of time, because all it tells you is whether
> the connection was good the last time a query was done. It is *not*
> intended as an active "ping".
Ok, i'll take it in my mind.

Alexey Zayats.