Re: VACUUMs take twice as long across all nodes

From: Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)laterooms(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUMs take twice as long across all nodes
Date: 2006-10-27 22:19:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:07:43 -0400

> So the time is all in index vacuuming, eh?  I think what's happening
> is that the physical order of the index is degrading over time, and
> so the vacuum scan takes longer due to more seeking.  Can you afford
> to do a REINDEX?  If this theory is correct that should drive the
> time back down.

Tom,

You wonderful, wonderful man.

I tried a test reindex on "Allocation", and noticed a vacuum had
turbo-charged... then reindexed the whole db, did a vacuum, and lo! The
whole db had turbo-charged :)

When I say 'turbo-charged', I mean it. The vacuum times have dropped to
20% of what we were seeing even before it 'got much slower a
couple of days ago.'

It sucks that the new reindex code is only in 8.2, but now that I know
this is an issue in 8.1 I can plan for it.

Thanks so much :)

Cheers,
Gavin.