Re: Wrong record type - caused by SELECT order ???

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: John Cobo <johnecobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong record type - caused by SELECT order ???
Date: 2006-10-27 22:35:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, John Cobo wrote:

> I am trying to create some functions which return many rows using
> plpgsql. This example could be done with SQL, but later I will need
> plpglsql. I was constantly getting the wrong record type error with a
> couple different functions. Finally I found that if I changed the order
> of columns in the SELECT statement then this simple example would work.
>
> Any suggestions as to why this is happening or what I can do to
> consistently get such functions to work ? Is there an easier way to do
> all this ? (

Well, I think the simple answer is to return next foo rather than rec in
the function.

The longer answer is that in the first case you're returning a record with
an int first and a varchar second and in the second you're return a record
with a varchar first and an int second and category_list is compatible
with the latter and not the former.