Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Duncan Garland" <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-27 18:01:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Duncan,

> I'm prototyping Postgres at the moment. I've always been an Oracle man
> in the past but the current project won't stand the licencing costs etc.
> I've picked Postgres because it grew out of a serious product, Ingres,
> and looks like a serious, heavyweight offering. I also like what I've
> seen so far.

Just FYI, Ingres and PostgreSQL share a common heritage (UCB, Stonebraker)
but no common code.

> I didn't expect anybody to do a lot of work, but I did hope that
> somebody would point me towards some authorative articles on the web.
> They must exist.

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how an article would be "authorative", in the absence
of published benchmarks or evaluations by standards bodies, neither of
which OSS DBs have yet. Anything you got would just be someone's opinion.

> I do appreciate your replies, they made interesting reading. You all
> clearly believe in your product. However, it is a bit worrying that
> nobody on the Postgres advocacy mailing list could point me towards any
> authoratative material advocating Postgres over MySQL.

Let me see if I can dig anything up. Generally we try to avoid the MySQL
comparison because it's not doing open source in general any good to
constantly have PostgreSQL and MySQL pitted against each other. We'd
rather be compared with Oracle and DB2.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus