printing the query plan?

From: dakotali kasap <dakotalidavid(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: printing the query plan?
Date: 2006-10-27 08:58:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I want to print the query-plan that will be used before the execution of the query. Therefore put this line at the beginning of the ExecutorStart() function located in execMain.c :

print_plan(queryDesc->plantree,queryDesc->parsetree);

However, it did not work. What I want to ask is:

1. Does postgresql call ExecutorStart()-ExecutorRun-ExecutorEnd functions each time a new query is invoked? If so, why the above line did not work?

2. Can I print just a dummy string inside ExecutorStart() function and will it be shown before the result of the query? Because I also tried this and it also did not work.

Thanks  a lot.

Baran

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2006-10-27 09:11:08