Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure

From: Carl Norden <dragon(at)wintermaze(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Build of postgresql 8.2 beta 2 failure
Date: 2006-10-27 02:13:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I know you're collecting results for beta testing, so I thought I'd pass on the error I ran into. This may have failed just because I'm running an old version of RedHat (7.1)

When I tried to build postgresql 8.2 beta 2, the compile failed with these errors:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libpq.so.5 -Wl,--version-script=exports.list fe-auth.o fe-connect.o fe-exec.o fe-misc.o fe-print.o fe-lobj.o fe-protocol2.o fe-protocol3.o pqexpbuffer.o pqsignal.o fe-secure.o md5.o ip.o wchar.o encnames.o noblock.o pgstrcasecmp.o thread.o strlcpy.o -L../../../src/port -lcrypt -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/sw/postgresql/postgresql-8.2b2/lib' -o libpq.so.5.0
/usr/bin/ld:exports.list:1: parse error in VERSION script
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libpq.so.5.0] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/src/postgresql-8.2beta2/src/interfaces/libpq'

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3

$ ld --version
GNU ld 2.10.91
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty.
Supported emulations:
elf_i386
i386linux
elf_i386_glibc21

I may try poking at it more after dinner to see if I can fix it myself, but just thougt I'd get you more results. (And thanks for all the work in making all the previous versions such a great product!)

-Carl

--
select soda from soda_machine where ingredients like '%caffine%';