Re: [HACKERS] COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem
Date: 2006-10-26 13:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Tom Lane napsal(a):
> >Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> >>I prepared patch which use oid output function instead regproc output.
> >>This change works only for COPY TO command.
> >
> >This is not a bug and we're not going to fix it, most especially not
> >like that.
>
> OK, The behavior of regproc type is described in the documentation, but
> if we don't fix it, than Some error message like "Regproc data type is
> not supported by COPY TO command" could be useful. Because you find that
> something is wrong when you want to restore data back and it should be
> too late.

But it works as "expected".  If the approach you suggest would be one we
would take, then it should emit the same error on SELECT as well,
shouldn't we?

I think the problem is that regproc COPY is not useful to you for your
particular use case.  But there are workarounds, like the one I
suggested and you promptly ignored.