Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-10-25 03:48:03
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> >> I have updated the text.  Please let me know what else I should change.
> >> I am unsure if I should be mentioning commercial PostgreSQL products in
> >> our documentation.
> >
> > I think you should mention the postgresql-only ones, but just briefly with a
> > link.  Bizgres MPP, ExtenDB, uni/cluster, and Mammoth Replicator.
>
> And to further this I would expect that it would be a subsection.. e.g;
> a <sect2> or <sect3>. I think the open source version should absolutely
> get top billing though.

I am not inclined to add commercial offerings.  If people wanted
commercial database offerings, they can get them from companies that
advertize.  People are coming to PostgreSQL for open source solutions,
and I think mentioning commercial ones doesn't make sense.

If we are to add them, I need to hear that from people who haven't
worked in PostgreSQL commerical replication companies.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us