Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-10-24 23:58:14
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 03:33:03PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:13 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >> If it were me, I would say that the replication option has to be
> >> specific to PostgreSQL (e.g; cjdbc or synchronous jakarta pooling
> >> doesn't go in).
> >
> > ...and how do you define PostgreSQL exactly?
>
> I replication product or software defined to work with only PostgreSQL?

AFAIK Continuent's product fails that test...

I don't see any reason to exclude things that work with databases other
than PostgreSQL, though I agree that replication that's actually in the
application space (ie: it ties you to TomCat or some other platform)
probably doesn't belong.

My feeling is that people reading this chapter are looking for solutions
and probably don't care as much about how exactly the solution works so
long as it meets their needs.

--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net