Re: [GENERAL] Call for Donations

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Call for Donations
Date: 2006-10-25 03:20:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 19:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
>
> Why are France and Germany "regional projects" when it seems that the
> SPI operation is regionally limited Canada and USA?  (Actually, it is
> my understanding that the "France" group is more of a Francophonie
> group.)  Not that I really care about those spelling-level details, but
> would that mean that regionally donated funds are only used regionally,
> and nonregional funds are used anywhere?  Or what is the difference?

My personal view is that the SPI group actually casts the widest net, not
because it is "american" but because SPI is a much larger organization with
many international ties, and falling under that just makes it take on a wider
significance; certainly SPI is no stranger to receiving international
support.  This is not to slight the German or French groups, who have had
pretty good success aiui, but I don't think either of those groups have high
priority plans to reach out internationally, where as the SPI group does
(imho).

--
Robert Treat