Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbuildfarm.org DNS problem?
Date: 2006-10-23 12:18:21
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:00:10PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I will note that there were other oddities happening when this all went
> down. Jan and I both noticed that .info and .org were not returning
> whois records for a time. Don't know if it is related but who knows.

No; there was a maintenance of the whois system.

This domain is on CLIENT hold, which means one of two things:

-You need to update the record to put it in DNS

-Your registrar is blocking it being re-added to DNS for reasons
having to do with payment not having completed or something.

> Anyway and interim fix for people is to use 207.173.203.146 in their
> hosts file for www.pgbuildfarm.org.

That's a really bad idea. People will forget to remove it later, and
then when the IP changes, it'll break.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie