Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8
Date: 2006-10-21 19:44:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> On 10/20/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't say anything about
> > being free of patents though.
> >
> > The Sourceforge project referred to in the article (but for which no
> > link is given) seems to be this one:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/slicing-by-8
>

> Yes. I had already mentioned that link in my posts.
>
> The "files" section contains a zip archive, inside which there are three
> > source files all of which state that the package, which is (c) Intel
> > Corp. 2004-2006, is released under the BSD license, with this URL:
> >
> > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html
> >
> > Again, no mention of patents anywhere.
>

> I'll try to get in touch with the author and get the clarification.

Yep, the license and patent status seem to be separate issues.

However, I am not sure getting a clarification from the author even
helps us legally. Also, why are we more critical of an Intel-provided
idea than any other idea we get from the community? The scary answer
is that in many ways they are the same, and have the same risks.

So unless we hear about a problem, I think we should use the code.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us