BUG #2710: Intermittent hangs on sequence generation

From: "Jason Palmer" <jpalmer(at)dlife(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2710: Intermittent hangs on sequence generation
Date: 2006-10-20 12:38:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2710
Logged by: Jason Palmer
Email address: jpalmer(at)dlife(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1
Operating system: Redhat enterprise 4
Details:

We can't exactly pinpoint the cause for this so I submit the problem to the
postgres community. We are currently running Postgres 8.1. Postgres is our
main database engine and several of our applications connect to it including
our java stack (tomkat 5.0.28 running java 1.4.2 struts) and Ruby on Rails
(Rails 1.6 w/ ActiveRecord). What we experience is bizarre. We can always
create tables with no sequences. But occasionally the database will hang
when we attempt to create a table with a sequence or foreign key. We can
cancel the operation and when it "hangs" the database will still be able to
insert/update/delete/select records so it's not totally down. But we are
required to reboot the database before we can successfully run the query.
Again, this does not happen all the time, but we've found that it happens
quite a lot.