Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Hackenberg, Rick" <Rick(dot)Hackenberg(at)primedia(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows
Date: 2006-10-19 22:45:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
> I am new to Postgresql and I am in the process of trying to migrate 2
> databases from a unix box to windows 2000. Is there an easy way to
> export the database across platforms? If not, what is the best way to do
> this task? I wasn't sure if I could take a dump of the databases on the
> Unix box and rerun the sql scripts in Windows to recreate the databases.
> Any insight or assistance that you can offer would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Also, I am using PostgreSQL8. Would I still need to use Cygwin since
> this release is supposed to work on a windows platform. Thanks in
> advance.

Since pg_dumpall create a back-up of the entire DB cluster in to a standard text based
PostgreSQL/SQL format, the restore is completely platform independent.  If there are problems,
(such as missing PL-languages on the destination server) these would be migration problems
independent of OS.

I am not sure what is possible with binary copies of the data directories.  I recall an email to
one of the postgresql lists about a year-ago where someone was attempting to use the same data
directory on a dual-boot linux/windows computer. However, I do not recall if he had any success.
My guess is that this is not a recommended practice for a production server.  But a binary copy
may be possible, but perhaps not recommended.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.