Postgres DBA Job Opportunity in Vancouver, BC, Canada

From: Vincent Lasmarias <vlasmarias(at)guardianmms(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres DBA Job Opportunity in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Date: 2006-10-19 17:33:06
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Guardian Mobile Monitoring Systems, Inc. helps
businesses and individuals keep track of their
vehicles, assets and family members using GPS
technology and cutting edge web applications.

We are looking for a Database Administrator to help us
manage, support and scale our high-transaction
PostgreSQL database engine.

The ideal candidate is highly-motivated and
passionate, and is looking for a challenge in a
growing company. We value creativity and innovation,
and willingness to step up to the plate. An ability to
work in a team
environment is critical. You must be a self-starter,
and be able to work independently with a "can-do"
attitude.

Our compensation package includes a competitive
salary, the opportunity for stock options, education
funding, and a relaxed but challenging work
environment. Our team is second to none, and you will
get the opportunity to work with talented and creative
people.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
. Manage and create database schemas for Relational
Database Systems (includes optimizing index creation,
table creation, storage allocations, etc.)
. Performance monitoring and fine tuning of the
database
. Work with developers to create efficient queries and
stored procedures
. Timely troubleshooting of database problems
. Review and enhance existing replication, archiving,
backup, and recovery strategies
. Document data design
. Prepare hardware purchasing schedule to account for
scalable database growth
. Assist in planning for software and hardware
purchases
. Provide standby support on a rotating basis
. Plan and coordinate database security measures
. Continual evaluation of the merits/ benefits of
available system upgrades and enhancements.
. Responsible for production patching, maintenance and
support activity.
. Work with FrontEnd and BackEnd and Customer
Experience teams
. Act as team lead as appropriate on technical
projects.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
. Minimum 2 years experience administering a high
transaction production relational database
. Experience with PostgreSQL
. Experience with Linux/UNIX
. Strong SQL skills
. Proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve
production problems in a timely manner
. Ability to work with others
. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with
minimal supervision
. Good written and oral communication skills

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
. Database Administration certification
. Experienced in Solaris administration
. Experience with MySQL
. Java, JDBC programming experience
. Experience in billing systems
. Experience in reporting systems and data warehouses
. Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Computer
Science
. Experience in administering database used for online
systems
. Startup experience

For more information on our company, please visit
www.guardianmms.com. No phone calls please.

Please send your resume to dev_jobs(at)guardianmms(dot)com