BUG #2692: psql sends natively-localized strings to database without setting client_encoding first

From: "Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy" <serg(at)vostok(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2692: psql sends natively-localized strings to database without setting client_encoding first
Date: 2006-10-13 08:50:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2692
Logged by:          Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy
Email address:      serg(at)vostok(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system:   FreeBSD-6 stable
without setting client_encoding first
Details:

psql mixes natively-localized string in SQL commands without setting
client_encoding first. Looks like we _really_ need some code in configure
script to find acceptable native names for our database charsets.

%zsh 1 11:27 serg(at)serg p0 /home/serg
set | egrep -a '^LANG|^LC_|^MM_CHAR'
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
MM_CHARSET=KOI8-R
%zsh 0 11:27 serg(at)serg p0 /home/serg
psql -l
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe9cdd1
%zsh 1 11:27 serg(at)serg p0 /home/serg
psql -d postgres
SET

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

#psql  = serg(at)[local]:5432 postgres
\encoding KOI8
#psql  = serg(at)[local]:5432 postgres
\l

         |  |
 postgres   | pgsql    | UTF8
 template0  | pgsql    | UTF8
 template1  | pgsql    | UTF8
(: 3)

#psql  = serg(at)[local]:5432 postgres

pgsql-bugs by date

Previous:From: Sergiy VyshnevetskiyDate: 2006-10-12 19:50:27
Subject: Re: BUG #2685: Wrong charset of server messages on client