Re: SQL functions, INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE RETURNING, and triggers

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL functions, INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE RETURNING, and triggers
Date: 2006-10-12 18:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:19:24PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think the most promising answer may be to push RETURNING rows into a
> TupleStore and then read them out from there, which is pretty much the
> same approach we adopted for RETURNING queries inside portals. This'd
> allow the query to be executed completely, and its triggers fired,
> before we return from the SQL function.

Would this only affect RETURNING queries that are returning data via a
SRF? ISTM that pushing to a tuplestore is a lot of extra work for
simpler cases like INSERT INTO table DELETE FROM queue_table WHERE ...
RETURNING *; Even for the case of just going back to the client, it
seems like a fair amount of overhead.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net