Re: pl/Perl

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/Perl
Date: 2006-10-12 02:18:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 05:46:59PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> david(at)fetter(dot)org (David Fetter) writes:
> >>
> >> Speaking of presentations, does anyone have one on pl/Perl? Or
> >> something that has a chunk of material on pl/Perl?
> >
> > I've got some slides from a PL/Perl talk I gave at FISL 7.0
> > <http://fetter.org/Perl_and_PostgreSQL.pdf>
> >
> > The slides illustrate one cute thing you can do with PL/Perl that
> > would be challenging any other way :)
>
> Pretty neat, albeit brief.

Good talks are like good dresses: short enough to be interesting, long
enough to cover the subject.

> [And definitely done using Keynote...]

And proud of it. :)

> Something that strikes me as really useful would be to point to some
> Perl DB access libraries as being either highly recommended or not
> based on stuff like whether they hold transactions open. That's not
> a pl/Perl thing, but it falls into what PerlMongers ought to be
> interested in.

I'll be shoving DBI-Link 2.0beta1 out the door tomorrow or Friday. :)
Explaining how it works to a newcomer audience would take a couple of
hours, tho. Some of the other slides on
<http://fetter.org/resume.html> also at least touch on PL/Perl.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666