Re: postgresql db account

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql db account
Date: 2006-10-05 12:06:06
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thursday 05 October 2006 07:47, Ray Stell wrote:
> If I change the challange method to md5, I have to know the passwd.
> So, are you saying that it is good practice to leave local connections
> as trust?  This doesn't seem right to me.  I either have to set the
> pw or leave it as trust.

The idea of trust on the local machine is that every user on the local machine
is allowed direct access to the database, which is a convenience mechanism.
If that doesn't meet your needs, then by all means, feel free to set up
whatever security you like.  I tend to leave the local machine (to which I am
the only person with access) as trust for convenience, but all other machines
use md5.

Sean