Re: benchmark suite

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dim(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmark suite
Date: 2006-09-29 16:58:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Le vendredi 29 septembre 2006 15:54, Andrew Sullivan a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:27:49PM +0530, km wrote:
> > Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?
> I suggest looking at the excellent software provided by OSDL.
> http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/

You could also take a look at tsung software :
http://tsung.erlang-projects.org/

This distributed load testing tool supports pgsql protocol.
You can define some sessions using transactions, requests and think-time, mix
them (preferring session A 80% of the time for example), and then configure
it to launch as many users as wanted on some interval (1 user a second, for
example), during some arrival phases. All this in a XML file.

It supports several client machines participating on the same benchmark test,
and produces some graphic reports to analyze results thereafter.
It also comes with a good documentation.

I've beginning to work on dbt2 testing part, re-using its database schema and
database populating code from Mark Wong (OSDL). The tricky part here is
porting SQL input parameters generator, and trying to have comparable test
behavior.
I hope to get some usefull results to show soon, including comparing 8.1 and
8.2 versions, for some acceptable value of soon :)

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine
http://www.dalibo.com/