Re: tablespace?

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespace?
Date: 2006-09-27 21:33:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I see no mention of tablespace in Worsley and Drake. Is ts not
> smiled on, new, or just not in the scope of the book? No option on create
> user to define a default ts makes me wonder if ts is not "good."

I am not sure if I remember correctly, but I remember reading something on the general-mailing
list about a year ago that suggested that care had to be taken to get the data off of all of the
tablespaces in relation to the main data direcotry, if file system back-ups were used.

However on *nix, symbolic links are used easily enough to provide similar access to data on other
files sytems without any complication in the DDL statements.

In my book by douglas, mention was made to using table spaces for placing indexs on expensive/fast
access semi-conductor drives. But I imagine this could also be achieved with symoblic links
anyway.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.