Re: Transaction is read-only in auto commit mode

From: Asok Chattopadhyay <asok(at)dreamapps(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction is read-only in auto commit mode
Date: 2006-09-27 11:34:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Jim. I dowloaded the latest version of the JDBC drivers and installed them on the affected sites. So far, there were no error reported in the last12 hours. Hope it works!

Thanks again.

Asok

Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:
On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:26 PM, Asok Chattopadhyay wrote:
> My application based on Java servlets was running fine with version
> PostgreSQL 7.x, but started giving error: "transaction is read-
> only", in version 8.0 and 8.1. I am using Suse Linux 9.3/PostgreSQL
> 8.0 or Suse Linux 10.1/PostgreSQL 8.1. I am using JDBC 3 drivers
> and all connections are in auto-commit mode. Could you please tell
> me what's going wrong. Strangely, I looked through all the postings
> in all the forums but could not find a mention of this problem. Am
> I doing something exttremely stupid or has something changed in
> version 8 onwards that's causing this problem? The error appears
> sporadically, not always but quite frequently. I am using the
> standard postgresql.conf, except that I had increased the shared
> buffers and working memory sizes.

Something is creating transactions in a read-only mode, though it's
not clear why that would change from 7.4 to 8.0 (or were you using
something even older?) I suspect it's an abstraction layer trying to
be cute and getting things wrong, but that's just a guess. Turning on
query logging should provide insight.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net