ODBC driver exposing wrong tables and views (Windows)

From: "Randi Joy" <rjoy(at)randijoy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC driver exposing wrong tables and views (Windows)
Date: 2006-09-26 19:02:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I have a postgres v. 8.1 database on Windows XP and ODBC driver 8.01.02.00. I have created roles with permissions to a few views. When I use Psql command line client, Postgres does impose the security restrictions so that the roles only see the views they are configured to access. Using ODBC in Access or Excel, they see all the tables and views.
I found a similar post on the archives with the same question and only found this response:

"As far as security models are concerned, a driver should never impose the security policy. The reason for that is very simple - bypassing the driver will give you access to things you thought were secure. A driver should give the user the maximal power available to her. If Postgresql allows a user to get a list of views that the user has no permission to access, then it's the driver's job to give this list..."

That makes sense but Postgres is not allowing the same access permissions through psql, has anyone since then found a workaround or a solution to this?

I would like to demo limited access of data in a table through the use of views and was hoping to do this through an ODBC connection.
Thanks!