dictionary?

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dictionary?
Date: 2006-09-22 19:16:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

How do you accomplish this in pg?

1. Is there a table like the Oracle dictionary?
2. Is there a way to describe a table?

I use these all the time in oracle. When I can't remember where
some management metric is located in the system, I sort of grep for
it based on a keyword. For example, if I need to find out about some
snapshot (copy of a table from another db), I do this:

select table_name from dictionary where table_name like '%SNAPSHOT%';

TABLE_NAME
------------------------------
ALL_REGISTERED_SNAPSHOTS
ALL_SNAPSHOTS