BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6

From: "Christoph Zwerschke" <cito(at)online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6
Date: 2006-09-21 16:49:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2642
Logged by:          Christoph Zwerschke
Email address:      cito(at)online(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system:   Win XP
Details:

I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on Win XP, installed from the official binary.

When I start the PostgreSQL service, and I have my LAN network interface
activated with TCP/IP installed, but IPv6 deinstalled, I cannot connect to
the PostgreSQL database. In the log file, I get the following error
message:

"LOG: could not receive data from client: An operation was attempted on
something that is not a socket."

This problem does *not* happen if:

- the LAN network interface is deactivated or
- the TCP/IP protocol is deactivated or
- the TCP/IP protocol is activated, and TCP/IP v6 protocol is installed
(must not be activated)

It happens only if:

- the LAN network interface is activated and
- the TCP/IP protocol is activated and
- the TCP/IP v6 protocol is not installed

If this problem cannot be fixed, it should at least be mentioned in the
Windows FAQ
(http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html) .

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Gene NeelyDate: 2006-09-21 17:02:19