Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work
Date: 2006-09-20 20:25:31
Lists: pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm betting you should change those numbers from octal to decimal,
> > actually.
>
> I suggest using named entities like &uuml;.

Yes, I use them where possible.  I use:

	http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/iso.htm

for named cases, but for the ones that don't have names, I have to use
UTF8 numbers:

	http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html#latexta

The case that I needed was "Latin Small Letter Dotless I", which has no
name on the first URL.

The unusual thing is that though our docs web pages use a stated
encoding as ISO-8859-1, the UTF8 number does generate the proper symbol
in my browser (Mozilla), so I wonder if >255 codes are assumed to be
UTF8.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us