Re: [HACKERS] Timezone List

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Timezone List
Date: 2006-09-19 10:05:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 04:19:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> > Here goes. Tested only on win32 so far, but works there. No docs yet
> > either - need to know if it goes in first ;)

> I've applied this along with some extra work to get it to show GMT
> offsets and DST status, which should be useful for helping people
> to choose which setting they want. This effectively obsoletes
> Table B-5 as well as B-4 in the SGML docs ... we should probably
> remove both of those in favor of recommending people look at the
> views.

http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/view-pg-timezone-names.html says
that the names in the view are "recognized" as argument to "SET TIMEZONE".
However some of them can still not be used if they contain leap seconds, try
for example

set timezone to 'Mideast/Riyadh87';

Should we just document that some can't be set or remove those from the view
completely or add another boolean column has_leapsecs or similar?

Removing them seems not to be the right idea because you can say:

select now() at time zone 'Mideast/Riyadh87';

Joachim

--
Joachim Wieland joe(at)mcknight(dot)de
GPG key available